Geroge,
I believe this refers to Decision 14-3/0.5 (note the decimal) which says that a Committee, by Local Rule, can permit the use of distance-measuring devices.

Check out http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/changes_rules.html

/Ed

GEORGE HUSON wrote:
In the Apirl Golf Magazine there is a Bushnell Ad that says the laser rangefinder is now permitted in Tournament play when local rule 14-3/05 is in effect. Anybody know what the "05" is I looked up 14-3 it just says that a manufacturer may submit equipment to the USGA to see if it's use would be cause a breach of the rule.

Comments?

George Huson
ByGeorge Custom Clubs

Burgess Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 09:46 AM 3/22/2006, you wrote:
>The course I normally play was mapped by a Sky Golf employee. Our pro
>said that he was wearing a "big backpack unit" with a "big antenna".
>I'm guessing that his measurements were much more accurate than would be
>done with a simple hand held GPS.

Yup, that would be a DGPS receiver. Your desc! ription sounds like the one
we use. I wonder where he got the DGPS signal.

>The downside of this was that the guy went out by himself and had never
>seen the course before. I'm guessing that once you have course mapping
>experience you'll do fine. However, there may be some "local landmarks"
>that may be missed.

True. And don't forget that, even though the map inside the SG may be
perfectly accurate, we are still referencing it via an instrument with
lower accuracy. IOW, while the SkyCourse may have a hole correctly mapped
with exactly, say, 100 yards between points X and Y, our instrument will
never let us know with the same accuracy that we are standing at either of
those points.

There are 2 courses in the north part of the county that are, I believe,
within the range of the DGPS signal from Alabama A&M University (where we
conduct some of our ag experiments). One day I'll have to take the SG up
the! re and see if the DGPS signal has any noticeable effect on my game.

I'm betting it won't. :-)

Burgess