Title: Message
I suspect that they are trying to make lighter shafts which most likely corresponds to a softer shaft. As the shaft gets softer the basic lie should be more upright to compensate for the greater toe done deflection of the softer shaft during the swing. This follows the fact that I have seen the new wood shafts are getting softer then shafts a couple of years ago.

llhack

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 4/23/2006 8:22:47 PM
Subject: ShopTalk: Professional Opinions on OEM lie angles

I was cruising some oem web sites and noticed Mizuno seems to have a broader range of lie angle on their muscle back blades than on most of their cavity back selection. Titleist has apparently decided upright is better with their 5 iron set at 62 deg. Cleveland's lies are the flattest of the three and follow Mizuno's example of making their mid to high handicap club designs more upright.

I can understand a more upright lie angle in a driver benefiting the player with a poor swing. The driver swing doesn't (or shouldn't!!) contact the ground. But for the most part irons take divots and I just can't see how digging the heel into the turf is going to help an already suspect swing.

I'm not sure I understand  the thinking in making iron more upright. Based on what the oem's are selling a loft and lie machine seems to be almost a required tool. For me, the oem Titleist setup is almost unplayable with the Mizuno only slightly better. I haven't hit the Cleveland blades but the specs are pretty close to what I'm using now.

What do you guys think? Current oem lies too upright? The need for correct lies overrated?

Thanks in adv.

GregZ