I’ve always thought that it’s odd that we in Australia call these comps
Four Ball Par, Four Ball Stabelford and Foursomes when they are all
invariably  played in pairs. I would have thought that two ball better
ball would have made more sense. Typically it would work like this. One
club may have twenty players and another 15 players. In this case and
depending on the exact nature of the comp there would probably be an
agreement (for example) that the scores of the top 6 pairs would count
for each club.

That is, a foursome would consist of two players from one club against
another pair from the opposing club. I have never played in a comp where
all four players are playing as one team but I suspect it happens more
in other countries. I played with a Canadian guy a few weeks back and we
discussed this and he said that in his club in Canada it was more common
to have a foursome as a team.

I noticed in a couple of the postings that there is reference to both
situations. That is, foursomes as a team and pairs as a team.

Cheers
Graham

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5/08/2007 4:16 PM