It occurs to that I recently used a sheet of acrylic
to cut out some figures. it wasn't 1/2" though. 1/4"
as I recall. I used a scroll saw and a jig saw with
"plastic" blades because the figures required some
intricate pattern cuts.

That doesn't get your "glued in" bit out of the saw,
but maybe it'll help a little if you want to try
something else.

TFlan