From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Tutelman
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:11 AM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: frequency

At 12:22 PM 9/9/2008, TFLAN wrote:
>Ahh, another potential thread upon which many will opine. I agree
>with Prof. T in every regard here, but (and Dr T, as you are
>well-aware, there's always one of them with me), I wonder how one
>can select the "correct model shaft" when there are so many?

OK, my turn to agree with Dr. Flanagan here.

>...But how to select the right brand?
>What did that old impossible to understand English playwright say?
>"Ah,there's the rub".

That is indeed the rub. (Well, not brand so much as model. But brand as well.)

But Jeremy asked what has gotten worse -- more tedious -- since he
left on holiday. I'm just pointing out that nothing is worse. Shaft
flex/frequency profiling is just one more tool that we MIGHT have in
selecting a model. Nothing more, nothing less.

Moreover, its use is very limited right now. There are some success
stories in choosing different model shafts that feel and perform
similarly based on similar profile (and similar weight, torque, etc).
But we still need to understand a lot more about how the profile
corresponds to feel and performance. There are a few rough rules of
thumb, and profiling can be helpful, but we don't really have the
science in hand yet.

Cheers!
DaveT