Drilling the old shaft tip to make a blind bore is a fairly common practice.
But there's one caveat - be extremely careful when drilling. The slightest
deviation from center can result in you drilling through the aluminum sleeve
and into the hollow head. Take it from one who has done it. The aluminum bits
will fall into the head and you'll have rattles galore.

I eventually solved the problem I had when it happened with a head I was
reshafting. I was in a hurry to get the job done and rather than stick the head
in a drill press vise I did it freehand. Big mistake!

I loaded the head with rat glue to stop the rattles. Then, to cover the hole in
the hosel, I cut a piece from an aluminum can, sanded it to rough it up, bent
it around a drill bit to get a shape, and epoxied it over the hole. Then I
stuck the new shaft in. After it was ready, I hit some shots with it. No
problem.

Worst of all, no charge to the customer. Fortunately the shaft was one I had on
hand - a pull out. So I had nothing invested in the shaft, but a couple hours
labor was lost.

Lesson learned after about 40 years of doing this stuff - "always follow your
own advice!!!"

TFlan

  The other