Can a golfer hate an inanimate object like a golf club? I hate my 60 degree
wedge. Hate it! Ever since that Pelz guy popularized the 4 wedge concept, I've
lost more strokes than I've gained. What's the point of a 60 degree club if you
already have a 56 or a 58 in the bag? Open the 58 two degrees and you have a
60. And please spare me the "you increase the bounce" argument. A 58 degree
with say 10 degrees of bounce only changes a couple degrees - meaningless. And
not to put too fine a point on it, how does one know he's opened club face 2
degrees? That's an infinitesimally small change.
I recently had conversation with a golfer who "needed" a 60 degree wedge, a
Vokey. He spent a half-hour in the golf shop looking at 60's's but couldn't
find one with the "correct" bounce.. There were 10 and 12 degree bounce heads
but he insisted that he "needed" an 8 degree because of the hard fairways. The
guy "knew" exactly what he needed because he read Pelz's book. He's a 19
handicapper who has never broken 90. Now, with a 60 degree, he'll raise scores
rather than lower them. I told the guy to get a 56 or a 58 with the least
bounce available. Nope, gotta do what the book says works. Even worse, I have
yet to find a Vokey or a Cleveland or a  Callaway wedge that measures what is
stamped on the head. Not one single time.
The cost of advertising strikes again.
TFlan

HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.