From: owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com [mailto:owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Tutelman
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:43 PM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Is it possible to hate a club?

Hi, TFlan!
I agree with you and TW that a lob wedge is usually a game-hurter
rather than a game-helper. No matter what Pelz says. What is the fly
in the ointment about the Pelz advice? PRACTICE!

As y'all know (from your own business experience), people want to buy
a game, not earn one. My two rules for using my lob wedge:
(1) Only use it when no other club will do the job.
(2) Practice it. A LOT. If you haven't done lob wedge practice this
week, leave the club home.

Yesterday my LW saved me two strokes on the front nine. But I
definitely followed both rules. And I can certainly remember rounds
that using the LW cost me two strokes.

Now, let me prove again that I'm a numbers guy, and quibble with a
couple of numerical assertions in your post.

(1) "Open the 58 two degrees and you have a 60." Nope. Rotating the
shaft does not have a 1:1 relationship between azimuth and loft. To
add 2* of loft, you need to open the face 3*. That doesn't negate
your advice, just changes it quantitatively.

(2) "He's a 19 handicapper who has never broken 90." I suppose it's
mathematically possible to be a 19 and never broken 90. But it's damn
hard. If you typically play a course with a 72 rating where your
course handicap is 19, then the AVERAGE of your top-ten-of-twenty
scores is something like 91-92 in order to keep it there. So ALL your
best-half rounds have to be 90-93 in order never to break 90. You can
change my assumptions about course rating and slope, but the numbers
all come out in support of the assertion that a 19 handicap is very
likely to break 90 a few times a year if he plays even once a week.

Cheers!
DaveT