I found out a couple of weeks ago that smoke alarms have a life expectancy of 8 to 10 years.  I just got through replacing mine - hopefully they'll never get used.

Just a few words more as there is a lot on the web, here is a good generic article.  There are two basic kinds of smoke sensors - ionization and photoelectric.  The ionization kind are cheaper and detect fast burning fires.  The photoelectric ones are for smoldering fires, such as a burning bed or sofa.  Some alarms have both types of sensors.  There are also alarms that have built-in batteries that last the life of the alarm, which is great if you have one that is hard to reach.

If you have a security alarm you may have a smoke detector that is monitored and is separate from the smoke alarms.  These detectors, as far as I know, are photoelectric.  These do not have a design life from what I've been able to find out.  As long as they detect smoke they don't need to be replaced.

Regarding carbon monoxide alarms; these have design lives that vary greatly (three to 10 years).  Contact the manufacturer with the model number to determine their lifespan.

/Ed