In a message dated 5/15/2014 4:35:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
strik...@csinet.net writes:

I have seen quite a few bent shafts RIGHT AT the hosel on older PING irons
due to the hardness of the head (17-4).

I would be really concerned that a split shaft would present a serious
danger of breakage and the head flying off which would be a liability.

True experience - customer comes in at closing time with a set of Titleist
irons and shafts just purchased at local Golfsmith. The story is he is
leaving TOMORROW to play golf in sunny Florida and needs the reshafted clubs in
the morning! Being a nice fellow and wanting the full profit (no parts costs)
I accept the job, close the doors, shut the lights and retreat to the
workshop area. Remove all the heads, save the ferrules and clean/prep the
hosels.
Take the new shafts and notice that they are all the same length and don't
have club number tags. Yup, they are parallel tip while the heads require
taper tip shafts! Yes, I remember my friend Tom posting the slit the tip
solution. I did not remember add a tip plug instruction, tip slit, tip trim and
assemble the clubs. Put them in the hot box to cure overnight, turned down
the heat, locked up and treat myself to a nice late dinner at a favorite
restaurant before going home.Next morning I went in a little early, turned the
ferrules, cut the clubs to to playing length and blew on the grips the golfer
provided.
Customer arrives at opening time pays for the job and tells me he doesn't
want his old shafts!
About 2 weeks later he comes in with three clubs and 6 heads and says the
shafts broke off because he really swings fast. He threw away the broken
shafts in Florida. Can I replace all the shafts with the old shafts if I still
have them. Sure, I have them and we arrive at a labor price plus the cost of
new grips. I give him the grips at cost and he is a happy camper!
He picks up the clubs and one week later he returns - OH SH_T!
Thanks me for all the work I did on his clubs and reports that he sold them
on Ebay and made a handsome profit!
Purpose of this report - IF YOU SLIT TIPS YOU MUST ADD A TIP PLUG!!