On Feb 8, 2008 4:56 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:03:50PM +0200, Hese wrote:
> >
> > interfaces:
> > net     eth0            detect
> > vmloc   vmnet6          detect
> >
> Is vmnet6 a physical interface?  If eth0 is the only physical interface,
> then you need the routeback option.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

yes, eth0 is the only physical interface.
But what I did not realize before is that probably the VMWare NAT is what is
causing the problems. I believe that VMWare's own components are doing
NATting between eth0 and vmnet6 and that's why forwarding with iptables
fails.
There's an another networking mode in VMWare, called "host-only", which most
likely will solve my issue. I can't test this to be sure until sometime in
the future when I dare to turn my virtual machines off and reconfigure
VMWare.