Brian J. Murrell wrote:

So the new behavior is definitely different and incompatible with the old behavior.

I wonder if a new field (yeah, not terribly desirable, but we are
proposing removing a field at the same time)

No, we aren't -- we are proposing to require that two fields (DUPLICATE and COPY) be empty when the new behavior applies. Brian, we can't just remove columns from configuration files between releases. Users often upgrade Shorewall as part of a distribution upgrade where hundreds of packages are changing. We can't make incompatible changes that result in their firewall not starting after the upgrade.

to the providers table to
flag whether the provider is subject to the main table or overrides it.

I've thought of that approach (adding a provider option) but what happens if part of the entries have the new option and part don't? If you can figure out what should happen, then do you want to be responsible for documenting it as well?

Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]