>> This is a not-so-trivial problem to solve regardless of how it seems.  I for
>> one
>> haven't found an elegant solution (using Linux!) for circuit

It's not linux to blame, its the link type you are provided with. ( you
get what ever you pay )
>> load-balancing/failover problem in a dual-ISP scenario.  Perhaps if someone
>> is
>> aware of one they can offer some links/insight?

I think there is no such thing such a true fail-over product.

Consider an a FTP session going out from an ISP provider in a multi ISP
scenario during which the link fails,
a) the remote FTP server has no idea about your second ISP provider.
b) Once the link fails the session will be off no matter what ...

Till then I'll remain to my shorewall boxes supporting N providers (
thanks to vlans )  quite reliably with gwping-like solutions,  with the
above limitations of course.

Harry