> The hope is that new sessions can automatically be configured to work
> correctly, though.  New outgoing sessions should automatically be routed
> among the ISP's that are still up.  The goal is to prevent them from
> somehow erroneously selecting an ISP that is down, thus stalling out the
> new connection.

Have your modems in router mode ... let them handle the pppoe trouble
then

Your friends are
a) A little ping daemon ( shell script would suffice read carefully
gwping  )
   also carefully select what to ping,  do not  ping China  or  Africa
in order to determine your isp status
   ping something closer like your routers-modem external interface if
static ip, if not ping a something further down the line.

b) ip route replace default  scope global nexthop via 10.0.0.1  dev
ethxx  weight yy nexthop via 10.0.1.1 weight zz dev eth(X) etc ....

c) Determine your static routes ( must go through ISPx for this or that
... like ping ftp.example.org  to determine the ISP status if dynamic ip
etc etc  )

d) to be fancy you can always have a look at ipt_condition .. ( included
in xtables addons )
     I like this module a lot which  I think its misunderstood.

e) coffee  and lots  of  meditation  ;-)

If u feel that u need more help don't hesitate to ask.

Harry