> Hi,
>
> I have a multi-ISP situation (working well) whereby I need to turn off one
> of my ISP's once a cap has been reached.
> I can turn it off quite easily by replacing the default route in the main
> table:
>
> default
>         nexthop via 10.1.5.3  dev eth1.5 weight 1
>         nexthop via XX.XXX.XX.33  dev eth1.9 weight 1
>

> with
>
> default via 10.1.5.3 dev eth1.5
>
> But if I try to reverse the process and replace the default route with the
> 1st one, packets routed via the eth1.9 provider goes into a black hole (not
> investigated where packets end up)
>

> It's not the outgoing packets that are the issue, I'm betting, but rather
> that incoming packets suddenly become martians (you can confirm that by
> looking at your kernel log). Turn off routefilter on both of your interfaces
> and it should work better. Note, however, that if the ISP through which
> eth1.5 connects is doing egress filtering, then that ISP will drop traffic
> whose source is XX.XXX.XX.33.

Yes you are right about the martians, I was looking in the wrong logfile for
them, but right when I made that switched to multipath I see about half a
dozen.

I believe I have route filtering turned off, however *one entry* seems odd:
 ROUTE_FILTER=No in shorewall.conf;
 nothing in the shorewall interfaces file
 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth*/rp_filter are all zero
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter is zero
* /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter is 1*
*
*
I don't how, yet, to check that the kernel anti-spoofing mechanism is turned
off (I seem to remember that in the docs somewhere.)

Doing a shorewall restart takes several minutes, so I'd like to avoid that
> if possible, but it always puts things the way they should be.
>

> You must be using an ancient version of Shorewall with the shell-based
> rules compiler. If you upgrade to the current version, I'm betting that
> restart will be fast (and it will be seamless).

Sorry, yes it used to take minutes, now it only takes 26 seconds to perform
a restart (I bounce a few services at the end, such as named, dhcpd and ntpd
as they only attach to interfaces that exist when they startup, that
probably adds about 8 seconds)

> I'm thinking the direction I should be going in is either:
> 1. To insert/delete an iptables rule to mark the packets for the always-on
> ISP when the variable ISP has expired (per the FAQ)
> 2. Generate 2 sets of rules for iptables using shorewall (one with
> multi-path default route, one with single path) and swap one for the other.
>

> I would try the routefilter thing first.

Well my boss changed the requirements such that I no longer need to balance
anything.  Pity, it was getting fun too with 3 ISPs, balancing 2 of those
(one NAT'd the other not) with about 12 specific subnets, with 2 other
subnets requiring the unbalanced ISP.

Thanks BTW for such a great tool.  I don't think I would have ever tackled
iptables and ip without having the insulation of Shorewall first.  Not only
did it enable me to take over from our IT firm very quickly a few years
back, but by careful examination of the rules it does generate, it's easier
to see the relationships between the various tables and chains  and how that
compares to the lartc.org/netfilter documentation.

Lee