Hi,

> >> Actually, I'd like to go one step further and suggest to not bring
> >> this extra overhead into the project. It is a clear example of
> >> putting the cart in front of the horse.
> > I agree.  Shorewall is easy to configure; all xml would do is make
> > it harder.  If somebody thinks this is not the case, they need to
> > learn how to use an editor.  GUI is an unnecessary additional layer
> > of abstraction, a potential source of errors, an expanded attack
> > surface, and a maintenance burden.
> >

> You are missing the point that not all config files are written by
> humans...

I'm not missing that point. We're talking about shorewall, which has
config files that are designed to be edited manually.

> To highlight the point, consider the ratio of html websites
> written by humans vs database driven (or other cgi built sites).  cgi
> generated sites dominate by a massive proportion.

Yes, but we are not talking about this. Of course you make a valid
point in general. Your point, however, is beyond the scope of my
argument with regards to shorewall.

> Personally I don't dig xml all that much, but sometimes it makes sense
> to store data in a particular format. eg many applications find either
> sql or ldap storage useful for common centralisation of configs.
> Others find json (or yaml) useful for integrating with web
> applications.  XML has it's place also
>
> Note I'm not particularly trying to influence any direction of
> shorewall here.  For the time being I'm planning to store my config
> in json and generate flat files via a simple "compiler". However, if
> this works out I will investigate deeper integration into shorewall.

I think that any attempt at influencing the direction of shorewall is
as equally welcome as a yes or no answer to whatever idea has been
proposed :) To reiterate, the point I made was that a tool that can
create XML for shorewall is absolutely welcome, and it would handy
especially after a parser has been made that would convert XML to
plain shorewall files. :) And I also said that it is, in my view, not a
task of the core developer. But I read your answer to this below:

> Digressing: Anyone who hasn't played with YAML should have a poke
> around the basics.  eg Rails uses it for it's database config and a
> quick google search should turn up some examples of syntax.  Notice
> that it's kind of "XML done better" and XML can be viewed as a
> complete subset of YAML.  Of particular interest is the use of
> "references", ie you can define a bunch of attributes (a tempate) and
> then insert this reference anywhere else (this would be quite fun to
> have in shorewall). Personally I find YAML a similar overkill to XML
> and prefer JSON (which is technically a syntax compatible subset of
> YAML) for most purposes. Also the perl JSON parsers seem faster and
> more mature than the mammoth YAML parsers..?
>
> It seems fairly trivial to have a one way conversion from xml, json,
> yaml, etc to shorewall.  I will try and contribute anything I produce,
> but perhaps others will contribute alternatives sooner.  Also note
> that it should be reasonably easy to link such a "compiler" into the
> shorewall "make"-alike feature, so you could easily achieve a
> cascading effect where "rules.json" gets compiled to "rules" and then
> normal shorewall compiles that down as normal?  This likely achieves
> most of what users currently desire?

Personally I prefer the entry to shorewall that it currently has,
because it's what I'm used to. I'm pretty fast with a terminal, in any
way faster than with any other tool. If I would have proper, real-time
and adequate logging^W^W^W^W^W detected a possible security breach on my
firewall, I would have needed to edit the files as quickly as possible.
Not via the so often seen 'start -> all programs -> Shorewall Config
Editor -> Shorewall Config Editor *click* -> wait' sequence. Sorry for
sounding so pedantic and/or instructive.

(and/or elitist - ^W may be read as "remove last typed word" - I said
it jokingly)

- Mark