On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 10:38 +0100, Ed W wrote:

> Actually this is something I have some interest in because I would like
> to support a limited web interface for users to customise their firewall
> config.  My current thinking on a solution is to store my configuration
> in some json file (json is a subset of yaml.  Remember yaml is a massive
> specification and to some extent even xml is a kind of subset of yaml!
> (with different syntax of course..))
>
> I am considering parsing the json files to create the normal text files
> and run shorewall as normal.  However, if this ends up as a completely
> literal 1:1 mapping then I guess I would look to try and submit back to
> shorewall the ability to directly read .json files?  I really haven't
> researched a proper integration, but if the parser is easy to separate
> then it would seem possible for shorewall to scan for say "rules.json"
> or "rules" and pick it's preferred option.  If the parser should become
> very separate (in time) then it would seem that interested parties could
> add xml/yaml/sql format support as they prefer?
>
> At the back of my mind is that sqlite support might be nice, but I'm
> trying to stick to simple text files in my project at the moment...

I'm frankly not interested in having to document and support different
flavors of configuration representation. I would be willing to include
hooks in the compiler for doing the conversion and for matching up
filenames and line numbers in the error messages to where an error or
warning occurred in the original source text, but I would prefer that
these alternate configuration formats be separate products that are
documented, maintained and supported by their creators.

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car