On 7/25/2014 11:44 AM, sur...@emailengine.net wrote:
> I'm working on following & understanding the flow of packets across all of
> *this*.
>
> when I exec telnet from an external host, I see at CLIENT
>
>   tcpdump -i tun1
>     11:32:16.532625 IP E.E.E.E.54277 > 192.168.1.2.smtp: Flags [S], seq
> 1312623728, win 32768, options [mss 1308,nop,wscale
> 3,sackOK,nop,nop,nop,nop,TS val 1 ecr 0], length 0
>     (repeats)
>
>   tcpdump -i eth1
>     (empty)
>
> and at SMTP
>
>   tcpdump -i eth0
>     (empty)
>
> So the packets get as far as the CLIENT's VPN tunnel endpoint, but not out
> the CLIENT's eth1 and thus not to the SMTP server.

From the dump:

           /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter = 1

So *something* is setting that. Is there an entry for it in
/etc/sysctl.conf?

Try "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter" and see if it works.

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car