On 7/25/2014 12:31 PM, Tom Eastep wrote:
> On 7/25/2014 11:44 AM, sur...@emailengine.net wrote:
>> I'm working on following & understanding the flow of packets across all of
>> *this*.
>>
>> when I exec telnet from an external host, I see at CLIENT
>>
>>   tcpdump -i tun1
>>     11:32:16.532625 IP E.E.E.E.54277 > 192.168.1.2.smtp: Flags [S], seq
>> 1312623728, win 32768, options [mss 1308,nop,wscale
>> 3,sackOK,nop,nop,nop,nop,TS val 1 ecr 0], length 0
>>     (repeats)
>>
>>   tcpdump -i eth1
>>     (empty)
>>
>> and at SMTP
>>
>>   tcpdump -i eth0
>>     (empty)
>>
>> So the packets get as far as the CLIENT's VPN tunnel endpoint, but not out
>> the CLIENT's eth1 and thus not to the SMTP server.
>>

> From the dump:
>
>          /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter = 1
>
> So *something* is setting that. Is there an entry for it in
> /etc/sysctl.conf?
>
> Try "ech0 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter" and see if it works.

Hmmm -- that still isn't going to work. The default route out of the
CLIENT machine is out of eth0, so replies from the SMTP server are going
to be sent out of that interface with SOURCE IP 192.168.1.2.

The best way to correct that is to configure Shorewall Multi-ISP support
on the client.

/etc/shorewall.conf:

TRACK_PROVIDERS=Yes
USE_DEFAULT_RT=Yes

/etc/shorewall/interfaces:

vpn     tun+            optional,...

/etc/shorewall/providers:

isp     1       -       eth0    detect  balance
vpn     2       -       tun1    detect  fallback

/etc/shorewall/mangle:

MARK(2):P       eth1    -       tcp     25

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car