Donald S. Doyle <dsdo...@gemcc.com> wrote:

> I am using Shorewall and Spiceworks.  They are on two different servers.
> Spiceworks will send me a message that the router or a server on the network
> is communicating with a sus[icious IP address which I have blacklisted in
> Shorewall.  I asked Spiceworks about this and they sent to
> http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/86147-how-to-investigate-alienvault-threat-alerts-in-spiceworks
>  to explain how Spiceworks/AlienVault works.  Beyond that, they offered no
> other info as they do not know anything about Shorewall.

Not nearly enough information.
What is this device running Shorewall ? Is it a server, your router, some
random box, something else ? I run Shorewall on almost all my Linux systems -
servers, routers, the lot.
This router - is it your gateway or something else ? If it's your gateway, then
I don't know how Spiceworks is picking it up as the traffic would be external.

So I think you need to describe your network in a bit more detail, and give a
more specific example.