On 10/12/2015 09:05 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> The Shorewall Team is pleased to announce the availability of Shorewall
>> 5.0.0.
>

> Hi Tom and Team,
>
> thanks for the new release and all the hard work you did on it!
>
> I'm wondering about the impact of the recent change concerning
> "WORKAROUNDS". Should I expect that shorewall-5 will still run on a
> current RHEL5? Of course I will try it but I'm not sure how to catch
> possible issues.

Hi Simon,

Since these work around bugs in old distributions, it is likely that the
current version of those distributions have corrected the issues. The
most likely area where issues might remain are save/restore. There have
been a lot of issues where iptables-save created incorrect commands so
that iptables-restore would fail.

For releases like RHEL5, it is perfectly reasonable to continue to run
Shorewall 4.6.13. I intend to continue to provide bug fixes in that
release for the foreseeable future.

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car