Solved - or rather, workaround found.

For the record, the problem seems to be a regression in the e1000e
driver or firmware between Mint 17 and 18, or a difference between the
32 and 64 bit versions. I had the school network on the motherboard NIC
(this is the one that was causing the trouble) and the Pi network on a
PCI NIC. Having rebuilt the system yet again to no avail, I swapped over
the two interfaces, and lo and behold - problem vanished!

Actually, I've just checked that the driver is the same (v3.2.6-k) but
the firmware has gone from 0.13-4 (works) to 1.8-0 (troublesome), and
I've moved from a 32 bit system (works) to a 64 bit system
(troublesome). The motherboard NIC on the system I have at home, which I
believe is the same or similar, is Intel 82579LM.

Regards - Philip