On 11/20/2017 09:27 AM, Colony.three via Shorewall-users wrote:

>>     Are you sure this isn't working. I can connect to the firewall's
>>     external IP on port 80 and I get the Quantum Equities web site.
>>
>>     -Tom

> Hm, that's odd.  My remote OpenStack instance is CentOS Minimal so no
> GUI.  I have to use curl to test, and it times out.  nc also times out.
> This is from a VM at Internap, which I ssh in to from my LAN.  No dmesg
> errors anywhere.  The shorewall counter increments to 2 immediately on
> clear, but never increments on curl nor nc from Internap.

Well -- I can browse quantum-equities.com from my local LAN just fine.

> And from inside my LAN I can't pull up quantum-equities.com. (LAN
> laptop==>routerSNAT==>internet/50.35.109.212
> <http://50.35.109.212>==>routerNATxxx)
>
> You mention several times in the docs that accessing it from inside
> doesn't work, but I don't understand the dynamics.  I should be able to
> pull up this domain name from inside the LAN through the router's
> external interface, as a regular website shouldn't I?

From inside the LAN connected to the Shorewall system, you must also use
DNAT if you want to access DMZ servers via the firewall external IP:

DNAT    loc     dmz     tcp     80      - 50.35.109.212

or

Web(DNAT)  loc  dmz     -       -       - 50.35.109.122

The latter also DNATs port 443 which apparently isn't being used on the
Quantum website.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand