Remember … FTPS or SFTP, whatever u want to call it, is just SSH providing a
“secure tunnel” for your unencrypted FTP traffic.

So … when trying to figure out “if SSH is secure” or any other encrypted
traffic like HTTPS or whatever, you need to look closely at the encryption
protocols you’re supporting.

So, in your example you mentioned … “TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2”, is it secure,
right?

For each of these, when you’re configuring it on your server, you need to
choose a “cipher” to support. Some are “more secure” than others.

For context … TLSv1 was released in 1999 and deprecated in 2020 … so, NOT
SECURE!

TLSv1.1 was released in 2006 and deprecated in 2020 … so, NOT SECURE!

For TLSv1 and TLSv1.1, I would disable support for those protocols on my
server. Not even accept attempts to connect!

TLSv1.2 was released in 2008 and I would ONLY use it with a few cipher suites
(like ChaCha20-Poly1305 or AES-GCM or AES-CCM or other “secure suites” so, YES,
SECURE!

TLSv1.3 … it’s the latest and I would still be “picky” on which cipher suite I
choose, (like ChaCha20-Poly1305) is kinda my current favorite.

So why do we continue to support older TLS versions? Well, for “compatibility”.
We are always making a trade-off between “security” and “compatibility”.

If the level of “security” you choose, “blocks” many users from “getting
access”, then it’s “not really working”, is it?

You need to make sure the client software that’s installed will work with the
server software decisions you’re making.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone