With the current release of Shotwell (0.7.2), you are correct -- the
organizational data you've associated with the photos (as well as any
transformations you've made) would be lost.  When you run Shotwell, all the
photos you've moved will appear in the "Missing Files" page.

In Shotwell 0.8, we're implementing additional features to deal with how
your photos are stored on disk.  It will attempt to find files that have
been moved (to a different directory and/or renamed) and re-associate that
file with the photo in the database -- no information lost.  If Shotwell
detects that the photo has been altered (i.e. by an outside image editor),
Shotwell will do an in-place reimport; you won't lose tags or events, but
you will lose image edits (i.e. enhance, crop) because those transformations
were made against a different image.

Neither of these quite solves your problem because Shotwell 0.8 currently
only does these things in your library directory (i.e. ~/Pictures, or
whatever you've got set in your Shotwell Preferences dialog).  If you move
the photos outside of the library directory, then Shotwell will treat them
as Missing Files.

I think what you're asking for is one of two things.  One would be to allow
Shotwell to expand it's scope of what a library directory can be -- multiple
directories, perhaps, or allowing you to place a symbolic link in your
Pictures directory that Shotwell honors.  The other thing I think you're
suggesting (in your last paragraph) is that Shotwell does the file moving
for you.

Is this what you're asking for?  I'm trying to work out exactly what
use-case you're envisioning here.

-- Jim