I don't see any locking strategy (either modifying rsync or creating a
new RPKI object to represent a lock) as likely to work.  I can go into
details if necessary, but in short there are just too many different
ways that a relying party could end up with a potentially inconsistent
collection of objects, and this problem goes beyond a single directory
("publication point"), or the rsync protocol.

I see no alternative but to place the burden of assembling a
consistent view on the relying party.  This may mean that the relying
party's view lags the latest published data in some cases, and that a
relying party that's just starting up (has no cache of valid results
from previous retrieval runs) may end up with an incomplete picture
portions of the universe.  So be it.

Welcome to the world of loosely consistent databases.