> The AS_PATH has always been intended to represent the ASs that
> propagated the update.
>
> The AS_PATH can be used to detect loops ONLY because it does represent
> the ASs that propagated the update.

Sorry --but I just gave 5 examples of where the AS Path is intentionally
modified without causing loops. The point is the loopfreeness, not the
path the update took.

Let me ask this in a different way. Suppose you have the following:

A---B
+-C-+

Now, for whatever reason, and with C's full knowledge and consent, B
decides to advertise C's routes to A without putting itself in the AS
Path. Is this possible? Yes, it is --using current commercial
implementations of BGP. Is it wrong?

Well, it doesn't cause a loop, does it? As for policy --isn't that up to
the contract between B and C? Why should BGP enforce the contract terms
B and C are able to write between themselves? And yes, this situation
does exist in the real world --I just happen to be helping a customer
set this up in a private environment.

:-)

Russ