To divert the discussion a bit back into the realm of requirements.

What is the current "diameter" of the Internet?  From my recollections it was
converging toward about 4 ASes in diameter.  This would mean that for most
paths we have:

AS_A <--> AS_B <--> AS_C <--> AS_D

If we have already authenticated the route origin, with either offline or
online enforcement depending on your preference, we have cryptographically
bound a route object to an aut num.  Okay, this is good.  This is the current
scope of the work. Now it's tougher for people to fake announcements,
intentionally or otherwise.  This solves a lot of the problem.

Now, next step, we're looking at cryptographically signing the AS PATH, but as
Russ points out that isn't really what we want, at least I don't think it is.
What we seem to be trying to get at is what is to vet the relationship between
the ASes in the list.  For example, is AS_B really an upstream of AS_A? And it
is therefore plausible that they would legitimately want to announce AS_A's
routes.

Of course, as Shane points out, there is absolutely no way in BGP (nor should
their be, IMHO), of expressing the actual relationship between AS_A and AS_B.
They could be peers, confeds, paid peers, customers, etc.

The requirement seems to be the ability to cryptographically sign an object
expressing the relationship between AS_A and AS_B.  Is AS_B allowed, by AS_A,
to announce AS_A's routes?

BGP seems impractical as a mechanism, however, we could use RPSL to do this.
We simply offer the origin AS, in this case AS_A, an option to express it's
commercial relationship with its upstreams (or vice versa).  It can say "AS_B"
can announce these routes, AS_Q can announce these, etc.  Yes, this does
require that we announce "confidential" information, but, being realistic,
anyone can figure most of this out by looking at a routing table.

Given the small diameter, then we've solved 90% of the problem, as we only have
to then trust the big carriers in the core. If AS_B and AS_C are Level 3 and
Verizon, we can be reasonably assured that they will get things right more
often than not.   They've been doing this a while, and tend to know what they
are doing.  There is strong commercial pressure not to blow it, and become
subject to an attack or a highly visible misconfiguration.

Andrew