Hi Sandy,

Reply is inline.

On Feb 23, 2011, at 2:52 AM, Sandra Murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Andrew Lange wrote:
>
>> To divert the discussion a bit back into the realm of requirements.
>>
>> What is the current "diameter" of the Internet?  From my recollections it
>> was converging toward about 4 ASes in diameter.  This would mean that for
>> most paths we have:
>>
>> AS_A <--> AS_B <--> AS_C <--> AS_D
>>
>> If we have already authenticated the route origin, with either offline or
>> online enforcement depending on your preference, we have cryptographically
>> bound a route object to an aut num.  Okay, this is good.  This is the
>> current scope of the work. Now it's tougher for people to fake
>> announcements, intentionally or otherwise.  This solves a lot of the problem.
>>
>> Now, next step, we're looking at cryptographically signing the AS PATH, but
>> as Russ points out that isn't really what we want, at least I don't think it
>> is.  What we seem to be trying to get at is what is to vet the relationship
>> between the ASes in the list.  For example, is AS_B really an upstream of
>> AS_A? And it is therefore plausible that they would legitimately want to
>> announce AS_A's routes.
>
> "Plausible" is a rather weak security property.  Is that your
> recommendation of what you want out of a secure solution from this working
> group?

Given the thread, I can understand your frustration.  And, I could have made
myself more clear.  I'll try:  given the policies that AS_B might be
implementing, we cannot know for certain, without AS_B publishing their
policies, if AS_B should in fact be announcing which of AS_A's routes or in
what form, hence the use of the term "Plausible."

I agree "Plausible" is not security property, but a business/routing policy.

From a work item perspective, it would be useful to have a relationship object
signed that says "I'm AS_A, and I have AS_B and AS_Q as legitimate
connections."  This information, combined with AS_A's signed route-objects
means that downstream ASes would be able to verify that a route 1.2.0.0/16
coming in with an AS PATH of [AS_A, AS_B] or [AS_A, AS_Q] would be AS PATHs
that could be authorized.  Effectively solving the Origin + Upstream issue
would solve most of the problems.  Yes, someone could then spoof an
announcement of origin+upstream+self, but then we're looking at a minimum of a
3-AS path and the likelihood of that being best drops.  We can also do this
with a simple route-filter and does not require on-system crypto calculations.

Andrew