On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Geoff Huston <g...@apnic.net> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I hope I was neutral in neither agreeing or disagreeing as to its utility in
> my comment.
>
> I was simply checking your assertion that "it would be useful to have a
> relationship object" and gently trying to understand your reasoning behind
> holding that view.

for my money, I see this as data that will quickly rot, with very
little ability to really know if it's valid or not from an external
perspective.

Providing ROA data for netblocks, and attaching that to the notion of
a tree of certificate data down from RIR -> NIR -> LIR -> EndUser
should be 'simple', at least the mechanisms exist to keep this updated
and validated are I think. I don't think we want to introduce more
data that will root (IRR style).

Back to path validation though, what should we target as important
items to 'secure' (validate I think is the term I'd use), currently
the reqs talk about:
  o AS_PATH
  o prefix/length

Should, and why?, the relationship between ASN's be validated/used as
well? I think the thought had been that the RPKI data + irr data would
lead to better/easier prefix-list-style protections, so the
relationship didn't need to be validated beyond the immediate 2 ASN's.

-Chris