It's not clear to me what "1970, 2005, or similar" means?  Numbers with four
digits?  Five syllables*?

Maybe it would be clearer to use some heuristic based on the set of dates on
certs/ROAs?  Based on the assumption that the ROA issuers of the world will be
reasonably well in sync with real time.

If you're more than a few years off from the latest ROA issuance dates, then
you're probably bogus.  Say, take the average issuance of the most recent 100
ROAs and see if you're more than 5 years off.

* "Two thousand *and* five"