> >> Are there enough central locations to where the folks who want to
> >> participate to make more network connected office conversations
> >> workable? (sunnyvale/pao/etc + washington + london + ???)
>
> is the idea of showing up in 3 locations close to a majority of
> participants and participating over video conference laughable or
> possibly doable?
[WEG] well, I think that videoconf would be an acceptable option, assuming we
can cobble together the right set of multi-location supporting gear among the
candidate locations. Other than those pesky timezones, the problem we run into
with coordinated virtual meetings of this type is usually one of poor execution
of the technology - e.g. systems that can only talk to other identical systems
within the company network (no external/interwork support), huge rooms without
appropriate mics/speakers to make a video or audio conf anything other than
frustrating, or systems that aren't capable of managing a presentation + a
speaker video at the same time, etc.
We won't know unless we try it, and I think that we should. The worst that
happens is that we decide it's not worth the hassle in the future and simply
rely on the built-in support for webcams in things like Webex in lieu of
videoconf. The benefit of having it in a physical location is that it helps to
reduce distractions and let us focus on what we're actually there to do.

I would assume that if Cisco is willing to volunteer the resources for its
customers' use, there are likely telepresence rooms in the Cisco offices
convenient to nearly all of us, and that's a system that I know from personal
experience would work for this type of thing. The challenges are that there is
an 8-10 person limit to the rooms, meaning that some of the areas with larger
clusters of folks might need multiple rooms, and it's typically difficult to
schedule that many simultaneous rooms for any length of time without doing so
months in advance.

Thanks
Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.