From: Murphy, Sandra [mailto:sandra.mur...@sparta.com]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 06:24 PM
To: Danny McPherson <da...@tcb.net>; Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.li...@gmail.com>
Cc: sidr wg <sidr@ietf.org>; sidr-cha...@tools.ietf.org
<sidr-cha...@tools.ietf.org>; sidr-...@tools.ietf.org <sidr-...@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: [sidr] RPKI and private keys (was RE: Interim Meeting Draft Agenda:
04-30-2012 (April 30, 2012)))

still speaking as regular ol' member

Looking back, I do not see a reply from Danny to my question below.

But the subsequent conversation reads to me like "onboard .. signing
certificates" means getting the private keys routers would use for signing into
the routers.

Because the below implies that the "signing certificates", i.e., private keys,
would be "from the RPKI", I figure I'd better speak up.  Just in case someone
actually thought that was being suggested.

Communicating the router's private keys in the RPKI would be a bad idea.

First, of course, is the confidentiality concern.  Private keys are supposed to
be protected from exposure.  Creating RPKI objects where they would be
protected from exposure would be hard.

Furthermore, the private keys used in the routers are strictly a local concern.
 There is no need to communicate them globally.  So publishing them in the RPKI
at all, even if protected, would be a poor choice.

I do not know that anyone plans to use the rpki-rtr protocol to get private
keys to the router.

--Sandy, speaking as regular ol' member