On 11/8/12 6:01 AM, Shane Amante wrote:
> Sandy,
>
> On Nov 8, 2012, at 6:25 AM, "Murphy, Sandra"
> <sandra.mur...@sparta.com> wrote:
>> Speaking as regular ol' member
>>
>> On Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:48 PM, Shane Amante
>> [sh...@castlepoint.net] said:
>>
>>> Commercial operators, in particular, should carefully evaluate
>>> the risks posed to their core business (selling Internet transit)
>>> by now being reliant on certificate information that directly
>>> affects _reachability_information_ carried within their network.
>>> That certificate information is maintained by an outside party
>>> that's outside the operator organization's _direct_ (immediate)
>>> control and for which they, seemingly, have no recourse if
>>> (when?) something goes wrong.
>>
>> I think the Internet is already there.
>>
>> There are ISPs that spend considerable energy creating prefix
>> filters from IRR data and strongly encourage their customers to
>> register in IRRs.  Those registers are maintained by an outside
>> party that's outside the operator organization's direct control.
>> Those registered objects directly affect reachability information
>> carried within their network.
>>
>> Commercial operators have been comfortable with this mode of
>> operation for many years.  I doubt whether any of them have felt
>> the need to carefully evaluate the risks or consult their legal
>> departments.  It has been best current practice and urged on
>> operators at *OG meetings.
>>
>> I don't think we want people asking ISPs that use IRRs why they run
>> such a risky operation.
>>
>> --Sandy, speaking as regular ol' member
>
> There is not, in my understanding, a single root for the IRR's.
> Although RIR's for a particular region do allocate and register those
> resources (IP prefixes, ASN's, etc.) into their respective IRR
> instance ... there is absolutely nothing stopping the resource holder
> from registering their resources in one, or more, "3rd-party IRR"
> instances /not/ run or controlled by any RIR, i.e.: RADB, ALT.DB,
> etc.  IMO, the ability to do that constitutes "risk mitigation" on
> the part of the resource holder who publishes their objects
> (customer) as well as the _direct_ ISP's (from whom their buy
> service) that consume those objects, since there is no single,
> central authority with direct control over their business.
>
> That said, I acknowledge the downside with the present IRR model is
> that, in most instances, no IRR can express authority for the
> resources held in their IRR DB.  IMO, that creates a problem for
> /3rd-parties/ -- researchers, LEO, etc. -- who have no direct
> (contractual) relationship with both the ISP and their customer,
> since those third-parties have a difficult time in understanding
> which IRR to believe has the most up-to-date copy of resources.
> However, keep in mind (and this is key here), that each ISP *does*
> have a direct contractual relationship with its customers.  At the
> time such contracts are signed, the customer must tell the ISP which
> [...]

I think these are very valid points from an operational standpoint, but
that is not the concern regarding the third-party indemnification
clause.  The third-party indemnification means that I have to assume all
of ARIN's liability arising from *my* use of the RPKI, if I choose to
use it.  IANAL, so it is not clear to me if that covers cases where
clearly ARIN is at fault.  I assume that the legitimate intention is to
avoid a MAPS-like situation, where the RIR gets sued because I choose
not to carry ISP-X's routes because of invalid ROAs.  But what if the
RIR does something stupid and breaks RPKI and I stop carrying ISP-X's
routes?  Do I have to assume the RIR's liability?  My layman's
perspective on this is that we should ditch the indemnification clause
and each have to assume our own risks--and that seems to be consistent
with your argument.

At any rate, I am pretty sure this issue isn't an IETF concern, and I
will raise this on arin-discuss@ later today or tomorrow.  ARIN members
are welcome to join me there.

michael