I agree with your comment about a conversation at Nanog in February, sounds
like a great idea.

Comments inline below.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Dec 20, 2012, at 10:39 AM, "Sriram, Kotikalapudi"
<kotikalapudi.sri...@nist.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> Hopefully, we can do that when we meet in person (at NANOG in Feb?).
>

> --snip--
>>
>> There is no PE <-> CE eBGP session where one can originate the IP Prefix
>> from the "Victim AS".  There is just this:
>>
>>  ISP
>> Proxy-AS       Victim IP prefix
>>  AS1
>> +------+      +-------------------------------------+
>> | PE-1 |======| Victim's L2 switches and/or servers |
>> +------+      +-------------------------------------+
>>
>>              ^
>>              +---- This is not a CE router
>>
>> On the router PE-1, in the ISP AS (AS1), I am originating a BGP announcement
>> for a _directly_connected_ prefix, where the victim's server/network/service
>> is located.  I am not aware of a capability in any implementation that I'm
>> familiar with where I can originate that directly connected IP prefix for
>> the Victim's network and have it appear to be from the Victim's Original AS.
>>  When I originate an IP prefix on PE-1, the Origin-AS of that IP prefix is
>> AS1, the "Proxy AS", not the "Victim's AS".  Then again, perhaps I have not
>> looked hard enough at existing implementations ...
>
> Thanks for the nice figure and the explanation. But I think there is a way.
> I assume the ISP (Proxy AS) is the DDoS mitigator.
> Is the L2 connection (1) an existing business relationship between the two
> parties, or
> (2) is being established in emergency after the victim came under attack and
> made a panic phone call to the DDoS mitigator (Proxy AS1)?
>
> If it is case (1), then a ROA can be created well in advance (of any
> emergency) permitting
> the victim’s prefix to be announced from AS1. Right?
>
> If it is case (2), then for what purpose is the L2 connection being set up?
> It appears to me that it is for the Proxy AS1 to channel the scrubbed traffic
> back to the victim’s network. True?
>
> So the question is, in case (2) how does Proxy AS1 inject a route into the
> Internet
> showing victim AS as the origin AS. The proxy AS1 already has a route for
> the victim’s prefix from updates it got from one or more of its (AS1’s)
> neighbors.
> (Note that Proxy AS1 does not need to have a direct BGP peering with victim
> AS
> although it can establish one if needed over a multi-hop TCP, but we don’t
> need that here).
> Let us say, the path that AS1 has for victim’s AS (or prefix) is AS6 AS9 AS2,
> where AS2 is the victim’s ASN and AS9 and AS6 are some ASes in the middle.
> All that the Proxy AS1 needs to do is modify the path and reduce it simply to
> AS2.
> This is a simple path modification (MITM). Pilosov-Kapela successfully demoed
> a more complex BGP MITM back in 2008 on the live real Internet at Defcon.
> By comparison, the path modification that the mitigator (proxy AS1) needs to

Sure, but isn't Eric's point that there is no ROA in this case (#2) and if
propagation times are too large (days or weeks) then it doesn't really help
with the DDoS mitigation?

I am also curious about AS's that are direct peers of AS2. They might not
necessarily select the mitigating AS because they are also one hop away and the
tie breaking criteria will be used, no?