Andrew Chi writes:
 > On 3/13/13 10:19 AM, Andrew Chi wrote:
 > > Yesterday, Ruediger talked about a 4th validation state for BGP routes
 > > (RFC 6811 gives only 3).  After thinking about it more, I believe it may
 > > be helpful to call this validation state "Uninitialized".  Here's why.
 >
 > After talking to Doug and Sriram, it sounds like others already had this
 > discussion using the term "Undefined."  That's probably a better word,
 > since one might need it for more than just startup conditions.
 >
 > Should we explicitly call out this state?  Did we already decide not to?

Hi,

Not commenting for now on the need for a new term or the choices
offered, but I did want to point out that junos has a "4th" state now:

Per
http://www.ripe.net/lir-services/resource-management/certification/router-configuration:

===============

Note: There is an additional state in JunOS called “unverified”, which
indicates prefixes that haven’t been policed. This means there may be
a BGP neighbour session that doesn’t have an import policy
route-validation applied. You can verify this with the following
command:

junos.rpki.example.net> show route protocol bgp validation-state unverified

We can hash out whether another standard state is required, but I
wanted to urge that in the end we arrive at a set of states with names
that have clear and unambiguous meanings.

Thanks.

                                                        Jay B.