Oleg,

Thanks for clarifying the term.

I defer to others' understanding of the database in question as to whether this is a good estimator.

Steve
------
On 3/26/13 6:01 AM, Oleg Muravskiy wrote:

Stephen Kent wrote:
Ok, then I'll continue with mine line of thinking.
From the RIR stats files that RIRs publish daily we could get the numbers of distinct resource holders. They are:

AFRINIC 1310
APNIC    7957
ARIN    35380
LACNIC   4278
What is the definition of a "distinct resource holder?" Does this correspond to an account with the RIR, or is there some other definition?

I count the number of distinct reg-ids in the RIR statistics files (ftp.<RIR>.net/pub/stats/<RIR>/delegated-<RIR>-extended-latest, where <RIR> is in {afrinic,apnic,arin,lacnic}). The file format document defines this field as:

    This is an in-series identifier which uniquely identifies a single
    organisation, an Internet number resource holder. All records in
    the file with the same reg-id are registered to the same resource
    holder.

--
Oleg Muravskiy
RIPE NCC