Thank you for your response, Sriram.

Let me understand the semantics of the RLP field better. I am assuming
that it indicates that a leak happened somewhere in the path, not
necessarily at the adjacent AS (your customer or your peer). If this is
indeed so, the only case I can think of when an RLP-marked update is not
a leak, is when it came from the upstream.

And if we follow the same logic an RLP-marked update from the upstream
can still be a leak (and not just downstream announcements), but I think
it would be difficult to distinguish between the two.

If my considerations are correct, there are only two cases -
upstreams/transit providers, for which RLP doesn't matter, and others
(customers and peers) where an RLP indicates a leak and has to be dealt
accordingly.

Related to the latter - what would be in your opinion a reason to accept
a leaked route? Is it just for reachability (i.e. only one route to the
destination), or are there "legitimate" cases for route leaks?

Thanks,

Andrei