On 2015-08-27 15:23, Borchert, Oliver wrote:
If I understand Davids attack vector correct than the attack would look
as follows:

For the path -> A -> B -> C -> D -> E with A and D conspiring and B and C
only signing but not validating:

A signs the path to D and not to B but sends it to B. Because B and C
do not validate, just sign they forward the path to D.
D removed B and C from the path and forwards the path as -> A -> D to E.
Now E verifies the path as valid and moves on.

If this is what David had in mind then I agree that the security guarantee
in 7.1 does not hold up.

This is one type of attack that uses the issue I raised, but this specific attack doesn't seem problematic to me. A and D can always set up a BGPsec tunnel to accomplish the same result of removing B and C from the path, and there's not much we can do to stop that.

--
David Eric Mandelberg / dseomn
http://david.mandelberg.org/