Hi Sandy,

On 20/11/2015 4:27 am, "Sandra Murphy" <sa...@tislabs.com> wrote:

>A bit of history here.
>
>After RFC6485 was published, it was discovered that it incorrectly used
>the same OID for all RPKI crypto uses, which conflicts with CMS specs and
>is inconsistent with known implementations.

I am aware of that.

>The wg decided to create RFC6485bis, to correct the OID problem and the
>OID problem only, with emphasis on the ³only².

Timeline leap is not your friend here. 6485 pre-dates 6916. 6485 is
minimalist (and from a point of view, wrong) about algorithm changes.

>The ³SHOULD² language in section 5 is inherited from RFC6485, except for:
>
>   The recommended
>   procedures to implement such a transition of key sizes and algorithms
>   is specified in [RFC6916]
>
>RFC6916, which was published a year after RFC6485, is "Algorithm Agility
>Procedure for the Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI)².  It
>describes the procedure to follow in transitioning from one algorithm/key
>size to another.

Correct. It was this text that drew me to the section. And since the text
pre-dates 6916, which takes a more encompassing view of an
algorithm/profile change with a security section that adequately warns of
invalidity due to a RP not supporting the new certificate profile, I view
6916 as more 'with the times' (YMMV).

>Does RFC6916 satisfy your concerns about a change of algorithm?

It does a better job that allowing a CA or RP to opt out and fracture the
RPKI.

>Would you prefer that RFC6485bis remove the inherited ³SHOULD² language
>and point only to RFC6916?

Yes, That is certainly one way to address this. And I would be OK with
that.

Cheers
Terry