> On 2 Dec 2015, at 11:32 AM, Sandra Murphy <sa...@tislabs.com> wrote:
>
> Speaking as regular ol’ member:
>
> On Dec 1, 2015, at 9:42 AM, Andrei Robachevsky <andrei.robachev...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> If the parent has a shrunken resource set this would lead to the EE
>>> certificate being accepted only for the intersection of its resources, and
>>> the parent. Because there is a requirement that all prefixes on a ROA are
>>> included (and accepted in reconsidered) in the resource set of the EE
>>> certificate the ROA will be considered invalid.
>>>

>> Thank you Tim, this makes sense. Otherwise we will be changing the
>> semantics of ROA, which is tricky. Could you please point me to the
>> place where the requirement is specified?
>
> In RFC6483, page 5, section 4.  ROA Validation:
>
>   o  The IP address delegation extension [RFC3779] is present in the
>      end-entity (EE) certificate (contained within the ROA), and each
>      IP address prefix(es) in the ROA is contained within the set of IP
>      addresses specified by the EE certificate's IP address delegation
>      extension.
>
> Quibble.

RFC6482, section 4

> In the current algorithm, the EE cert that mentioned some of the removed
> resources will be invalid.  That makes the ROA that mentioned some of the
> removed resources be invalid.
>
> Under validation reconsidered, the EE cert will be valid, but not all the
> resources contained in it will be valid.  However, the EE cert still
> "contains" the removed resources, so the ROA “contained within” test would
> still succeed. So a ROA that mentioned some of the removed resources would
> still be considered valid. (I would say that’s bad.)

I’d say thats bad too.

So how about an example or two:

Example 1:

A CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24

issues:

B CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

issues:

C EE Cert: 1.0.0.0/24

and signs

ROA: 1.0.0.0/24 AS1

all good (assuming that A is a trust anchor)

Example 2:

A CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24

issues:

B CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

issues:

C EE Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24

and signs

ROA: 1.0.0.0/24 AS1

still all good (assuming that A is a trust anchor)

Example 3:

A CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24

issues:

B CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

issues:

C EE Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

and signs

ROA: 1.0.0.0/24 AS1

still all good (assuming that A is a trust anchor)

Example 4:

A CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24

issues:

B CA Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 2.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

issues:

C EE Cert: 1.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24

and signs

ROA: 1.0.0.0/24, 3.0.0.0/24 AS1

invalid ROA

(or at least that’s my opinion of what should happen. My assumption here is
that the ROA IS intentionally a collection of resources where the entirety of
the collection is important, so if all elements of the collection cannot be
validated via the ROA’s EE certificate then its a dud ROA.)

> Under validation-reconsidered, we would need to make sure this section said
> something about the validity of the resources in the valid EE cert.

I don’t think its a question of the EE cert, but the question of section 4 of
RFC6482 and what validation of the ROA means.

> Just in case it is not obvious:
>
> Suppose the EE cert always contained more resources than the ROA mentioned.

which is ok today under RFC6482

> Suppose the ROA did not mention the resources that were removed.  In that
> case the shrinking of the parent causes a shrinking of the set of resources
> that are contained in the EE cert that are considered valid under
> validation-reconsidered.  The valid subset of the resources contained in the
> valid EE cert (i.e., the shrunken resources) would still cover the resources
> mentioned in the ROA.  So a ROA whose resources were contained exclusively
> within the retained resources would be valid.  (I would say that’s good.)

i.e. thats like my example 3 above, so I agree thats good from where I sit as
well.