Tim,

Your explanation does lay it out more clearly, and it is consistent with how I
understood it before.
However, I have two questions/suggestions:

1.  A question/suggestion about the new validation algorithm:

Consider the following cert-chain, ROA example:

TA: {5.0.0.0/8, 8.0.0.0/12, AS1-AS100}
CA1: {5.0.0.0/20, 8.0.0.0/18, AS1-AS400}
CA2: {5.0.0.0/24, 8.0.0.0/20, AS1-AS50}   <-- note the "narrowing" of sub-cone
in the 5.0.0.0/x space
CA3: {5.0.0.0/22, 8.0.0.0/22, AS1-AS500}  <-- note the "widening" of sub-cone
in the 5.0.0.0/x space
CA4: {5.0.0.0/24, 8.0.0.0/24, AS1-AS5}

(Hint: picture specific-resource sub-cones within the broader cone of varied
resources)

The EE certs are:
EE1: {5.0.0.0/24} generated from CA4
EE2: {8.0.0.0/24} generated from CA4

And the ROAs are:
ROA1: {5.0.0.0/24, AS1000}  (signed with EE1)
ROA2: {8.0.0.0/24, AS2000}  (signed with EE2)

I think your proposed validation algorithm would determine that
EE1, EE2, ROA1 and ROA2 are all valid.
However, if you require that the specific resource (e.g. 5.0.0.0/24) -- that is
relevant
to the ROA or the EE cert being validated -- MUST have a “non-narrowing
sub-cone”
in the cert chain resources, then EE2 and RAO2 will be still valid,
but EE1 and ROA1 will be invalid.
By “non-narrowing sub-cone” (for a specific resource/prefix), I mean the
following:
As we move up the cert-chain, the “relevant” or “corresponding”
prefixes (relative to the specific prefix in consideration) seen at each level
in the hierarchy of certs must be such that the same prefix or a less specific
is found at each level relative to the level directly below.
As you can see in the example, non-narrowing sub-cone is true for 8.0.0.0/24
(EE2),
but not for 5.0.0.0/24 (EE1). Hence, EE1 and ROA1 are invalid (under this
enhancement).
Do you think there merit in this approach over what you have now in validation
reconsidered?
This somewhat less lenient approach would seem a bit more sensible (at least in
my mind).

2. How do you perform the validation of a CRL?
How is it similar to or different from how you validate a ROA?
How do you walk the certificate hierarchy in the case of a CRL validation
process?
I.e. How are the "encompassing" rules applied?
I think this should be explicitly explained/clarified in the document.

Sriram