Dear Marcel,

Marcel Mohr wrote:
Dear list-members,

I checked the publications list to find papers that use SIESTA for the calculation of vibrational properties of nanowires, but could not find any. (Only nanotubes).
Does anybody know work on this topic?

I am afraid you're right (well, depending on the points of view: it also means that there's room for new research in the topic). I've also been carrying out a literature search for phonons in NWs and I could only found empirical potentials calculations, but no DFT paper. At first I got pretty excited because I thought that was an opportunity to fill that gap and publish a good paper, but then I realized why it was so. When you start putting down on paper some number, you discover that the atoms involved would be really many, making the calculations definitely too heavy. NWs have two main drawbacks with respect to nanotubes: (i) they are not empty (and Siesta, enjoying virtually free-vacuum is ideally suited just for CNTs) and (ii) NWs below a certain diameter have not be grown so far. NW with a diameter that you could handle at the DFT level are on the frontier of what can and cannot be grown to date and if you want to do a vibrational DOS you run, as you know, into further problems: the need of a large supercell and of a large self-consistency iterations to fill your dynamic matrix.

Riccardo

--

Riccardo Rurali
Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria (ETSE)

tel.: +34 93 581 3531
fax.: +34 93 581 2600
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]