Dear Dr. Li Chun,

Can you drop me your tel to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I need your help.

Rongqin

________________________________

From: Siesta, Self-Consistent DFT LCAO program, http://www.uam.es/siesta 代表
Chun Li
Sent: 2007-3-19 (星期一) 16:00
To: SIESTA-L@listserv.uam.es
Subject: [SIESTA-L] Posible SPAM: elastic constant calculations

Dear SIESTA users,

I used SIESTA to calculate the elastic constant C_33 of bulk ZnO. Both LDA and
GGA are employed, respectively. But the obtained results are much larger than
the experimental value (for LDA, I got 358 GPa; GGA, 282 GPa; but the
experimental value is around 210 GPa). I wonder why such big error appears?
What important factors might be responsible for that? Could anyone give me some
ideas?

In my calculations, first the cell is fully relaxed; after that I apply
different strains in the c direction and evaluate their total energies,
respectively. Then I fit the obtained energies to obtain the elastic constant.
In both relaxation and energy calculations, double-zeta polarized numerical
atomic orbitals basis sets for both Zn and O are used.

Thank you and best regards,

Chun Li