Hi Derek,

I haven't tried with lam-mpi, but with intel mpi there are problems
if you link with a blacs compiled for mpi 1.2 while using mpi 2
(lam-mpi implements almost all of mpi 2). The problem is in one
of the include files of the c interface of blacs, so it can be really
difficult to detect while using a fortran only application. In order
to link with mkl  I'm using the following:

GUIDE=/opt/intel/cmkl/8.1.1/lib/em64t/libguide.a
SCALAPACK=/opt/intel/cmkl/8.1.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_scalapack.a

#Pay attention to the intelmpi20 suffix of blacs:
BLACS=/opt/intel/cmkl/8.1.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_blacs_intelmpi20.a
VML=/opt/intel/fce/9.1/lib/libsvml.a
LAPACK=/opt/intel/cmkl/8.1.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_lapack.a
BLAS=/opt/intel/cmkl/8.1.1/lib/em64t/libmkl_em64t.a
LIBS=$(SCALAPACK) $(BLACS) $(LAPACK) $(BLAS) $(GUIDE) $(VML)  -lpthread

Also if nuotot is only 24 then the system is really small,  maybe
there are no orbitals in a given node and it produces the NaN.

Good luck, and please post your findings!

Eduardo