-----Original Message-----
From: Siesta, Self-Consistent DFT LCAO program,
http://www.uam.es/siesta
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Emilio Artacho
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 10:56 AM
To: SIESTA-L@LISTSERV.UAM.ES
Subject: Re: [SIESTA-L] Siesta on Linux -- Is it possible?

Hi Paul

I reply in view of your desperate state, even if I don't know
much about
the matter.
I just can tell you that, yes, there are several luinux
clusters running
siesta in parallel
quite happily, based on Linux and MPI. There is some Myrinet
experience
and some
Gb ethernet as well. I know it can be tricky, more than to get it to
work,  to get it to do it
efficiently (normally related to the initial compilation and setup of
the mpi libraries).
The clusters I know have nice parallel efficiencies for not too many
nodes, but can be
used happily for 8 nodes in not too sophisticated setups and
for average
systems.
Running on more processors can be efficient, but that depends on the
system, adequate
setup and understanding the way siesta parallelises.

Best

Emilio

Neubauer, Paul R. wrote:

>I received no answers to my last set of questions, so I'll
cut down the questions to a single, simple question.

>Is there anyone, anywhere in the world, who has successfully
compiled siesta to run on Intel architecture Linux with MPI?

>If this proves to be possible, I will inquire further about
their environment, but for the moment, I will happily settle
for confirmation that it is possible at all.

--
Emilio Artacho

Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EQ, UK
Tel. (+44/0) 1223 333480, Fax  (+44/0) 1223 333450
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/~emilio