Hi Julie,

The scissor operator moves all the eigenvalues above the fermi energy
(chemical potential) up by the value you specify, this is to compensate for
the underestimation of the band gap. Usually you just choose it so that
you're band gap matches experiment.
The Broadening parameter specifies the size of the gaussian convolved with
the transitions, and as such also defines the number of points that appear
in the .EPSIMG file.
As a rule of thumb you should try to keep the broadening reasonably low. You
can always broaden the data further, but you can't deconvolve the gaussian
out of the data (because of the correlation between gaussian width and
number of points).
I generally use a broadening of 0.02 eV.
Don't forget that if you're dealing with metals, the plasma frequency
converges slower than the transitions, so you should use large optical mesh.
Your optical.Mesh should be the same style as you're monkhorst pack grid,
but much higher density.
To get accurate optical calculations, on gold for example, you should use a
monkhorst pack grid of about 21, but you may have to go as high as 29 if
you're unit cell is small.
%block kgrid_Monkhorst_Pack
  21   0   0   0.00
   0  21   0   0.00
   0   0  21   0.00
%endblock kgrid_Monkhorst_Pack

And then use a mesh like this:

%block Optical.Mesh
   65 65 65
%endblock Optical.Mesh

Note that you should test the convergence of these parameters. Also, the
finer that your broadening is, the more points you need in optical kspace to
get smooth data.

The real part is more difficult, if you're using metals, you will have to
guess the relaxation time. And you must check the convergence of the plasma
frequency with increasing optical mesh.

Cheers,
MArty