Dear Asa,

it is difficult to guess without knowing the details, but here are
some condensed remarks concerning magnetism in Siesta:

1. If you set SpinPolarized flag True (as you should) and do
nothing else, the initial spin values will be set to maximum
on all atoms. This might be OK for your Fe-Co system. But if you
have other atoms which are not a priori magnetic, or you want to model
e.g. antiferrimagnetic configuration you should influence initial
settings of spins using the DM.InitSpin  block.

2. In order to figure out what the local moments are you should set
WriteMullikenPop 1
and you'll see spin up/down charges on every atom.

3. If the magnetic solution is not what you expect it is important
to understand how it came about in the course of self-consistency -
do the magnetic moments gradually disappear? Were they small and
go gradually evolve in the right sense? Are some of them inverted
with respect to what you expected? For this, stop calculations
after certain number of iterations and run an extra calculation with
WriteMullikenPop 1
again.

4. If the magnetism gradually disappears where it shouldn't, a too high
ElectronicTemperature may be responsible. Of, of course, an error
in structure (e.g., too cloose atoms).

Best regards

Andrei Postnikov