Piotr,

One possible reason is that your convergence parameters are not sufficiently
strict. DM convergences of 10^-3 will give you very poor results. Ideally,
the DM convergence should be as strict as possible, and you can easily get
down to 10^-5 or even 10^-6 with systems as easy to handle as graphene.

However, perhaps the most important thing is to check that Harris and
Kohn-Sham energies are equal. Check Eq. 61 of the Siesta paper (the one with
the description of the code, http://es.arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0111138).
Thus, set the DM tolerance low enough so that the Harris and KS energies are
equal at the end of your SCF cycle, which will improve the numerical
accuracy of the forces and stresses on the system. Your SCF cycles will be
longer, but it could be that you get to your target stress tensor in less CG
steps.

Also, one thing that might help you is to set the off-diagonal and zz
stress-tensor components to zero at the end of each step, since they should
be just numerical noise due to a finite grid fineness. You can check the
manual for the use of subroutine constr and the setting of stress tensor
elements there. Only after you get reliable forces and stresses for a given
mesh cutoff (with good scf convergence) should you worry about how it
increases with a change in the mesh cutoff.

Cheers,

Marcos

Responder a