Dear Marcos,
Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Piotrek

On 15.09.2011 20:05, Marcos VerĂ­ssimo Alves wrote:
Piotr,

One possible reason is that your convergence parameters are not sufficiently strict. DM convergences of 10^-3 will give you very poor results. Ideally, the DM convergence should be as strict as possible, and you can easily get down to 10^-5 or even 10^-6 with systems as easy to handle as graphene.

However, perhaps the most important thing is to check that Harris and Kohn-Sham energies are equal. Check Eq. 61 of the Siesta paper (the one with the description of the code, http://es.arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0111138). Thus, set the DM tolerance low enough so that the Harris and KS energies are equal at the end of your SCF cycle, which will improve the numerical accuracy of the forces and stresses on the system. Your SCF cycles will be longer, but it could be that you get to your target stress tensor in less CG steps.

Also, one thing that might help you is to set the off-diagonal and zz stress-tensor components to zero at the end of each step, since they should be just numerical noise due to a finite grid fineness. You can check the manual for the use of subroutine constr and the setting of stress tensor elements there. Only after you get reliable forces and stresses for a given mesh cutoff (with good scf convergence) should you worry about how it increases with a change in the mesh cutoff.

Cheers,

Marcos